You are invited to join a summer reading class for 2018 with Dr. David C. Noe.
Course features include:
- no advance preparation and no homework
- no grades nor credit earned
- participants will receive liberal praise and occasional scolding
- course meets once/week for 1hr. for 10 weeks; due to summer travel and other obligations, the schedule has some interruptions, cf. infra
- class will meet evenings circa 8pm DST via Google Hangout
- course participants will have the opportunity to practice their pronunciation and translation skills, to ask the instructor questions about the text, grammar, context, style, etc., and even to speak Latin with the instructor if they wish
- course participants will select by majority vote which authors we read together
- cost for the course is $130 (because of the instructor’s very limited time and the high demand for last year’s offerings, the fee has been incrementally raised)
If you are interested in enrolling please send your name to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a description of your preparation thus far in Latin. Although no homework is required for the class and preparation for each session is optional, if you do not have some Latin ability you will not find the course rewarding.
If enrolled, you will be required to submit a $50 nonrefundable deposit via check or PayPal to hold your spot. The $80 balance will be due via check or PayPal before the first day of class, which is Tuesday, May 22nd.
Additional dates include: May 29, June 5, June 19, July 17, July 24, July 31, August 7, August 14, August 21. Please note the hiatus from June 19 to July 17 due to Dr. Noe’s travel.
Once our cohort is set, you will receive a list of authors and works from which to choose so that – quantum poterit – the authors match the interests of the participants. Candidate authors include: Cicero, Ovid, Lactantius, Augustine of Hippo, Petrarch, John Calvin, Peter Martyr Vermigli, and John Owen. If you have NO interest in these authors, please do not apply as you won’t be happy.
Enrollment is at Dr. Noe’s discretion and is limited to 9 participants.