If you enjoy our daily offerings of authors from the Classical, late antique, early church and medieval, and Reformation and post-Reformation periods, you are invited to join a Summer Reading Class for 2017 with Dr. David C. Noe.
Authors and texts may include: Cicero (Disputationes Tusculanae), Julius Caesar (De Bello Civili), Ovid (Heroides), Lactantius (Epitome), Augustine of Hippo (De Trinitate), John Calvin (Institutio Christianae Religionis, 1559; I.1ff.), and Theodore Beza (Epistulae).
- no advance preparation and no homework
- not for a grade nor credit
- participants will receive liberal praise and occasional (sometimes frequent and prolix) scolding
- course meets once/week for 1hr. for 10 weeks; due to summer travel and other obligations, the schedule will be somewhat spotty (see below)
- class will meet at 8 PM EST Tuesdays, via Google Hangout
- course participants will have the opportunity to practice their pronunciation and translation skills, to ask the instructor questions about the text, grammar, context, style, etc., and even to speak Latin with the instructor if they wish
- course participants will select by majority vote which authors we read together
- cost for the course is $125
To enroll, please send your name to email@example.com along with a description of your preparation thus far in Latin. Although no homework is required for the class and preparation for each session is optional, if you do not have some Latin ability you will not find the course rewarding.
If enrolled, you will be required to submit a $50 nonrefundable deposit via PayPal to hold your spot. The $75 balance will be due by the first day of class, which is Tuesday, May 30.
Course schedule: May 30, June 6, June 13, June 20, July 11, July 18, July 25, August 8, August 15, August 22.
Enrollment is on a first-come, first-served basis and is limited to 10 participants.